Wednesday, October 18, 2017

One more thought

So I have declared my 2017 season at an end.  "Declared" seems like a funny word, because when we think of sports we tend to think of a regular season followed by playoffs that lead to the crowning of a champion.  Athletes in those sports don't "declare" their seasons over; they either make it all the way to the final or are eliminated by somebody else.

Canoe and kayak racing doesn't really work that way.  Sure, there's the possibility of making the Olympic team (but only in the disciplines of flatwater sprint and whitewater slalom) or some other national team.  That's all but reserved for much younger people than I, however--people at the peak age for human athletic potential.  For folks my age there's just an assortment of races over the course of the year, and you pick out a few, and you go and race in them, and when they're over, they're over.

What's my point?  Oh, I don't know.  I guess it's similar to what I was saying in my previous post: that paddling is just a hobby that I devote myself to and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment