Thursday, July 12, 2018

I can see the Rockies

Well, I found some wifi sooner than I thought I would.  The campground I'm staying at off Interstate 25 just south of the Colorado-New Mexico state line has it.  The signal is quite strong, too: I'm about a hundred meters down a hill from the router and it's coming in well, albeit a tad slow.  So here's a quick update.

I made it to Oklahoma City yesterday and stayed at a pretty lousy Motel 6.  No, I do not expect the Ritz Carlton when I check into a Motel 6, but this one was bad even by Motel 6 standards.  The one saving grace was that the air conditioning worked.  If you want to escape the sweltering summer heat in Memphis, you'll have to flee farther than central Oklahoma.

This morning I was up and out of that crummy motel bright and early.  I drove into the heart of Oklahoma City and found Regatta Park, site of some of the biggest flatwater sprint events in the United States these days.  Today there was no regatta and I had the Oklahoma River site more or less to myself.  I paddled for 40 minutes and did three 8-stroke sprints.  It was my first time ever to paddle a boat in the state of Oklahoma.

I spent the rest of today driving across western Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and the northeast corner of New Mexico.  There were some thundershowers moving across the region, and the Fahrenheit temperature display in my car registered as high as 94 degrees and as low as 54 degrees during the course of the day.  It's about 70 degrees here at my campsite at the top of Raton Pass.  I do believe I have come far enough to escape the Memphis summer.

The plan for tomorrow is to do a round of the strength routine and then hit the road.  I hope to make it up into the Wyoming-Idaho-Utah tri-state area.

No comments:

Post a Comment