Monday, August 12, 2019

Monday photo feature














I love where I live, but I shouldn't ignore its problems any more than one should ignore the problems of one's spouse or other loved ones.  And so, in the spirit of the bummerfest that this blog has been lately due to my hurting back and the brutal humidity and so on, I give you this week's photo feature.

One of the things I couldn't help noticing out in the Columbia Gorge last month was that there was virtually no trash in the river.  I don't remember seeing even a single floating bottle.  That's quite a contrast to what I often encounter on my home water as well as the rivers and lakes I race on in my part of the country.

The Columbia Gorge area has a largely affluent, educated population, and litter and illegally-dumped garbage seem to correlate strongly with the poverty and ignorance that we have more than our share of in cities like mine along with the entire South and Appalachia.  That's the region of the country in which the late William Nealy, who drew the cartoon above, lived and did most of his paddling.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment