Sunday, August 25, 2019

A productive weekend

I'm leaning in favor of attending this race in middle Tennessee next weekend, and I figured that yesterday was my last chance to do a workout from which my body will be able to benefit by then.

After doing a round of the strength routine at home, I went down to the riverfront intending to do a set of ten 30-second sprints at three-minute intervals.  This is a workout I've done a lot in recent years, and sometimes it's felt good to me and other times it's been painful.  My muscles throbbing from the strength work, I had a feeling it would be the latter yesterday.

I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints and then got down to business.  I did most of the workout in south end of the harbor, but ventured out onto the Mississippi for several of them, just to push the balance envelope a little.  Oddly enough, the workout felt good.  I seemed to have a lot more turnover than I'd had earlier in the week, and was moving the boat well.  My stroke form was holding up well through the late stages of the workout, so I added two sprints to make a total of twelve.

Today I was ready for a Whatever I Feel Like sort of day in the boat.  I paddled to the mouth of the harbor and headed up the river.  I paddled most of the way to the mouth of the Wolf River with more gusto than even a tall-boy can of Schlitz beer could contain.  There was a barge rig coming downriver and I paddled out to see if there was any surfing action to be had, but the waves behind it amounted to a big nothingburger.

By this time I had been paddling a little over 40 minutes, and it suddenly hit me: I was tired.  I backed off the intensity and eased back down the river, returning to the harbor and paddling back to the dock to complete 80 minutes total in the boat.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment