Thursday, September 17, 2020

Doing what I can while family concerns take priority

On Tuesday I did a round of the strength routine and then paddled a loop of the harbor with Joe.  Temperatures this week are still quite warm--mid to high 80s Fahrenheit--but not unpleasantly hot.  It's looking like this weekend will be much more fall-like.

I wasn't expecting to paddle today.  My mother had surgery this morning to remove a tumor from her colon, and my plan was to spend the day at the hospital with her.  But we found out just yesterday that COVID-19 restrictions allow a patient to have only one companion in the waiting room, and since my sister had come into town for the surgery, we agreed to let her be that person.  So I was able to paddle today after all, although needless to say my mind wasn't entirely on the river.

After another round of strength work, I went downtown and got in the boat with the intention of doing a workout.  I've been favoring "play" workouts in this unorthodox year, but with two or three possible races of 8-12 miles coming up this fall, I could use to do some pace work, and it takes more of a "work" workout to accomplish that.  I made a deal with myself: if there was some barge traffic out on the river, I'd go out and try to surf; if not, I'd do three one-mile pieces in the harbor.

I did three 8-stroke sprints on the way to the harbor's mouth, and when I got there I found the river deserted.  So, one-mile pieces it would be.

I was hoping to maintain around 7.5 miles per hour for each piece, but there was a pretty good northwest wind blowing that forced me to adjust my expectations.  I did the first piece going north from the mouth of the harbor, and with the headwind I could only manage around 6.9 mph.  My elapsed time was 8:31.  After a five-minute recovery I did the second piece, still headed north.  By this time I was in the upper half of the harbor and I thought I might have more shelter from the wind because the banks are more forested there.  But this time I struggled to keep it above 6.7.  And I ground to a complete stop at one point because of some ropes tethering something beneath the surface to the bank.  I saw the first one just in time to avoid being decapitated.

I finished that second piece with a time of 9:07.  I recovered for another five minutes, and then turned back south to do the last piece with the wind at my back.  The difference was stark as I averaged 7.6ish in speed.  Of course, there's a downside to having the wind at my back: I get sweat in my eyes and they sting badly.  I had to stop once and wipe my eyes with my hat, losing a couple of strokes.  I finished with a time of 7:56.

I can't say that the workout was much fun, but hopefully it'll pay off if I make it to a race or two.  Whether I do depends on my mom's health in the coming weeks.  I spoke to her this afternoon and it sounds like her surgery went well.  She'll be in the hospital over the weekend, and I hope we'll know soon what further treatment she'll need.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment