Sunday, September 12, 2021

A nice weekend with a dash of high intensity

I started the weekend with a gym session on Friday.  I also spent Friday finishing up a workshop project that had taken me about a month, and it was nice to get that off my plate.

Saturday's assignment was "a bit of a lung and muscle burner": six sets of (30 seconds at 90-95 strokes per minute/15 sec. rest/15 sec. all-out sprint), starting a new set every 8th minute.  Maks said, "Not an easy workout!  That's not a threat, it's a promise!"

Okay, he didn't actually say "That's not a threat, it's a promise."  I sort of read that part in.

Anyway, I went out and did the workout, and it didn't seem too bad until the last couple of sets, when I really had to dig deep to crank out the 15-second all-out sprint at the end of each set.

This morning I did a calm 75-minute paddle.  The "Ida bump" on the river has moved on, and we're back to typical late-summer low levels.

We've continued to enjoy low-humidity weather through the weekend.  But it's been awfully hazy the last couple of days: both at sunset yesterday and at sunrise this morning, the sun has been a dark orange orb in the sky.  I don't know if this is more wildfire smoke from out West, or just routine air pollution.

Because I've been feeling good in the boat lately, I was leaning toward signing up for a race next weekend--an event on Center Hill Reservoir in middle Tennessee that I've attended a couple of times in the past.  But when I visited the registration page yesterday, I learned that the event has been canceled.  Apparently the director's mother is seriously ill and he is turning his full attention to her care.  So, late summer continues without many opportunities to race.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment