Sunday, September 5, 2021

Strength, power, and endurance

Friday was a gym day.  I found time during a busy day in the workshop to do a few strength exercises.

I was back on the water yesterday morning for a "brute power" workout.  I did four sets of four (20 seconds at 100 strokes per minute/20 sec. rest/20 sec. at 100 spm) with moderate resistance on the boat.  Maks didn't specify a recovery time after the second sprint of each rep, so I made it 1 minute.  He told me to "make longer rests between the sets to (almost) fully recover," so I made that 3 minutes.  It was definitely a hard session, but I didn't feel utterly exhausted after it was over.

We've enjoyed some cooler-than normal weather this weekend.  This morning some rain moved into the area, and I paddled in intermittent showers.  I did four sets of (5 min. at 56 spm/4 min. at 60 spm/3 min. at 64 spm/2 min. at 68 spm/1 min. at 72 spm), with a minute break between pieces and 2 minutes between sets.  It was your basic longer endurance session, with the varying stroke rates forcing me to concentrate the whole time, making it pretty tiring.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment