Thursday, September 2, 2021

So many ways to wear myself out

Well, the remnants of Hurricane Ida missed the Memphis area almost entirely.  From Monday afternoon through Tuesday we had a bit of rain and a few wind gusts, but nothing serious.  The storm moved farther east than forecasters expected, and it sounds much of this country from the mouth of the Mississippi up to the Northeast have not been as fortunate as we.

On Tuesday I had a somewhat taxing endurance workout to do: eight sets of (2 minutes at 60 strokes per minute/1 min. at 72 spm/2 min. at 60 spm/1 min. at 72 spm/2 min. rest), all with some extra weight in the boat.  The added weight enhances the sensations associated with planting the blade and rotation and leg drive, and though I wasn't out of breath by the end of the session, I was feeling the effort in my muscles.

Yesterday I pushed the intensity higher.  I did eight sets of (45 seconds at 80 spm/15 sec. rest/45 sec. at 84 spm/15 sec. rest/30 sec. at 90 spm).  In other words, it was eight two-and-a-half-minute pieces of which two minutes was done at a pretty high intensity.  Per Maks's instructions, I focused on posture and mechanics while paddling hard.  It took me a couple of sets to get a feel for each stroke rate; early on I was paddling at a higher rate than I should have.

After putting stress on my body in these different ways, Maks relented today and assigned a basic 80-minute paddle.  I kept the stroke rate at 60-64 spm and enjoyed the nice day.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment