Sunday, December 19, 2021

Negotiating the December weather

Once again the weather forecast motivated me to flip-flop my plans for Friday and Saturday.  Friday morning it was rainy but otherwise calm and unseasonably warm, so I decided to go down to the river to paddle.  I spent 80 minutes in the boat.  It was one of those days when sweat stung my eyes badly whenever I was paddling with the wind at my back, and it was very frustrating having to stop and wipe my face with my hat every minute or so.

The rainy conditions continued into Saturday, during which the Fahrenheit temperature fell from the mid 60s into the mid 40s.  Actually, the weather wasn't bad during the time of the morning that I typically would paddle, but I was nevertheless glad to stick close to home with nothing but a gym session to do.

Exercise out in the cold would come soon enough.  It was overcast and 39 degrees when I got up this morning, with the temperature not expected to get above 45 or so all day.  The forecast said the sun would eventually come out in the afternoon, so I waited until then to do my Sunday distance ride.  The sun did finally come out about ten minutes into the ride, but many clouds remained in the sky and I never really had much direct sunlight.  The ride turned out to be a chilly, rather cheerless affair.  I rode the Greenline all the way out to Germantown Parkway and then came back.  My total distance was 35.12 kilometers (21.8 miles), and I was on the bike for just over 100 minutes.  I was glad to be finished and I expect I'll sleep well tonight.

One bit of good news is that today I was at my heaviest since I started paying attention to my weight a few weeks ago: 155.5 pounds!  I seem to be taking a step back for every couple of steps I take forward, but seeing as how I was at 149 pounds when I first started this little weight-watching adventure, I think I'm inching in the right direction.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment