Sunday, February 26, 2023

Getting comfortable back in the boat

The week had been unseasonably warm, but Friday morning it was 48 degrees Fahrenheit and raining, and I was happy to stay in and do a gym session.

The weather wasn't much different yesterday morning.  But I had an in-the-boat workout to do, so down to the river I went.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I did twelve 30-second sprints starting every third minute.  I've done this workout two or three times a year for the last eight or nine years, since I read on Ron Lugbill's old blog that studies had shown that such workouts make a better aerobic session than long, steady paddling.  Sometimes this workout feels hard to me, and other times it's not bad.  Yesterday it was not bad at all: by the time I was done I was ready to be done, but I wasn't falling apart.  Maybe all the cross-training work I've done this winter is helping me that way.  Once again I felt some tenderness in my lat area, but in the end it held up well.

This morning I had a dry-land obligation, so I didn't get down to the river until the late afternoon.  I prefer to paddle in the morning because my energy is typically flagging later in the day, and that was the case today.  I fought through it to paddle for 80 minutes, keeping the stroke rate low but focusing on a good catch and solid power.  The nice thing about this afternoon is that the temperature had risen into the low 60s.  It's supposed to be warm and windy in the coming days.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment