Thursday, February 16, 2023

More dry-land activity in unseasonably warm weather

In recent times I've been in the habit of making Monday a day off, but this week my mother needed me to drive her to and from the hospital for a small procedure on Tuesday.  The procedure was the kind of thing that could take anywhere from a couple of hours to all day, so I decided to do some training work on Monday and let Tuesday be my day off.

I did a gym session Monday morning.  Then in the afternoon I rode my bike to the park just west of my house, where there's a paved loop of maybe 2000 meters.  I did the same workout I'd done last Thursday, riding the loop hard three times, stopping in between laps to do a couple of sets of Hindu squats.

Just as I'd anticipated, the trip to the hospital took the better part of the day on Tuesday.  I spent that period sitting in a chair and reading a book, and once I was back home I didn't do much else for what was left of the day.  So by the evening I was feeling as though I'd spent the whole day sitting around like a slug.  But I reminded myself that it was a scheduled day off and I wasn't supposed to be doing any major physical activity.

We've had a warm spell for the last several days, with the daytime temperature exceeding 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  Not surprisingly, it's been accompanied by chances of stormy weather.  Yesterday the news was full of warnings about the possibility of severe storms, but by afternoon it looked like they would hold off until the evening.  I got on my bike and rode the Greater Memphis Greenline out to Shelby Farms.  My intention was to do a loop around Patriot Lake out there, but I was hit with a little digestive-tract emergency, and ended up spending a while in a restroom out there instead.  Once that episode had run its course I just came back home on the Greenline.  So what would have been a 34-kilometer ride was probably more like 29 or 30 kilometers.

The storms arrived after 9 o'clock last night, and the sky was lit up with one of the more impressive lightning displays I've seen.  I think it was pretty windy overnight but I haven't heard of any major damage in the Mid South.

I did another gym session this morning.  Now, as I write this, one last line of thunderstorms is about to move through.  The temperature is supposed to drop the rest of the day, and this weekend will see temperatures in the 40s and 50s.  I'm hoping to get back in the boat tomorrow and see how my right lat muscle responds to some easy paddling.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment