Sunday, February 12, 2023

Keeping myself busy out of the boat

When I did several sets of Hindu squats on Thursday, it was the first time I'd done so in quite a few months.  So it was no surprise that my quad muscles were sore on Friday.  I stayed home and did a gym session, but skipped the row exercises I'd been doing that I think contributed to my muscle injury.

I was still very sore yesterday.  The weather was not terrible, but not very nice either.  It was mostly cloudy and windy, and the temperature just barely reached 50 degrees Fahrenheit in the afternoon.  I really was not eager to get outside, but I dragged myself out in the afternoon for a 40-minute bike ride.

I could tell as soon as I got up this morning that today would be a much nicer day: I could see bright sunshine dawning in the eastern sky.  I waited until afternoon, when the temperature was reaching its high in the mid 50s, to get on the bike.  It was still cooler than I like to ride in, but when you're out of the boat for a while you have to do what you can.  I felt sort of tired, and my thighs were still sore, but I got in a decent 90-minute ride on my usual course out to Shelby Farms and back via the Greater Memphis Greenline.

I'm pleased to say that my injured lat muscle (or whatever it is) under my right armpit is feeling a lot better.  I've been babying it, heating it up in the bathtub and then icing it, stuff like that.  I probably won't try to paddle again until late this coming week, at the earliest.  The worst thing you can do with an injury is try to come back too soon, and with my first race still six weeks off, there's no reason at all to rush it.  I feel good about my cross-training work and I can keep that up for a few more days.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment