Friday, May 5, 2023

A goal to shoot for

I signed up for the Blackburn Challenge on Monday, so I guess that made Tuesday the official start of training for it.  I started Tuesday morning with another run around the block: I mentioned last week that the distance is somewhere around 800 meters, but right now it feels like 8 kilometers to me.  Baby steps.  Baby steps.

After that I did a gym session, and then headed down to the river for a power session in the boat.  I did 8 x (2 min. on, 1 min. off) at 60 strokes per minute with a light resistance (one golf whiffle ball) on the boat.  Then I took an 8-minute break, during which I stopped by the dock and removed the resistance.  Then I did 6 x (2 min. on, 1 min. off) at 70 spm.

After all that I was thoroughly worn out for the rest of the day.  Maybe a few more such days will have me ready for the big race around Cape Ann.

I've been out of the boat since then.  I might have paddled yesterday if I hadn't been stuck waiting on a contractor who never showed up at my rental property.  I did do some relaxed bike riding Wednesday and yesterday.  With any luck I'll be back in the boat this weekend.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment