Thursday, May 18, 2023

Hard labor on and off the water

Tuesday was a pretty beefy training day.  It started with a run around the block, followed by a new gym routine I'd drawn up.  This one includes lunges with dumbbells and several core exercises.

Then I went down to the river and did some more work on stroke power.  I did 8 x (2 minutes on, 1 min. off) at 60 strokes per minute with small resistance (one golf whiffle ball) on the boat.  Then I took an 8-minute break, during which I removed the resistance from the boat, and then I did 6 x (2 min. on, 1 min. off) at 70 spm.  In the first set the resistance damped the boat's glide, making me put more power into the early phase of each stroke; the idea for the second set was to continue that concentration of power with no resistance.

I didn't do any training stuff yesterday, but it wasn't a rest day.  I spent the morning getting a few logs from a big white oak tree that had been taken down a couple of neighborhoods over, and then back at my place in the afternoon I did some splitting and cutting on them.  My legs were already sore from the lunges I'd done Tuesday, and wrangling those logs made the rest of my body sore as well.

I woke up this morning feeling beat up and sore all over.  I went to the river hoping that some easy paddling would loosen me up a bit.  I think it did me some good.  Once I was warmed up I felt good enough to surf some nice-looking waves behind a downstream-moving barge rig.  I didn't have to work that hard to get on them, so I didn't wear myself out and I returned to the dock in an upbeat mood.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment