Thursday, February 1, 2024

Drills continue in nicer weather

Once we emerged from the deep freeze early last week, the rest of the week was overcast and rainy.  The Memphis area got some six inches of rain during the course of the week.  So I was pleased to have a sunny day for paddling at last on Tuesday.  I spent 60 minutes doing more work on hip rotation.

Before paddling Tuesday I did a gym session: more Hindu squats and core exercises on the stability ball, plus some rotation drills sitting on the floor with a broomstick across my shoulders.

One nice thing about all that rain that moved through this area is that it also fell higher up in the watershed, and the Mississippi River is rising fast.  It was about 16.5 feet on the Memphis gauge when I paddled on Tuesday, and the current forecast says it will crest close to 24 feet early next week.

Skies were clear at dawn this morning, but it was getting cloudy-ish by the time I made it down to the river.  The Fahrenheit temperature was climbing from the low 30s toward a high around 60 degrees.  The river was flowing at about 19.7 feet.  I did a loop out on the main river, and this time I threw in some surges and tried to keep up good hip rotation at a higher intensity level on less-stable water.

It's nice to have January in the rearview mirror, but some years the weather here in February has been awful, so I'm trying not to get too used to this warm spell we're having.  Around here one can count on plenty of chilly weather throughout February and March and sometimes even into April.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment