Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Americana fun (2024 edition)

As I mentioned in a recent post, I paddled in the state of Minnesota for the first time ever last week.  There are now just two states in which I have never paddled a boat.  If all goes according to plan, I'll pick up one of them, Arizona, next year when I paddle the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  Then just one state will remain: Alaska.  The Last Frontier.

The rules are simple: I have to be in a kayak or canoe and take at least one paddle stroke to declare that I have paddled in a given state.  In some states I have paddled many, many times; in others I have paddled just once.  My hope is that sooner or later I'll get back to some of those states I've paddled in just once, and paddle some more there.  That is in fact what I did in Michigan this summer: before my trip I'd done just the bare minimum of paddling there.  Back in 2008 I entered a race on the Saint Joseph River that started in Michigan and finished in Indiana, and that was my one episode of paddling in Michigan.  But in the last two weeks I got the chance to shore up my paddling CV in that state very nicely.

In summary, here's a list of the fifty states of the United States.  I have visited every one of them at least once.  I have marked with an asterisk (*) those states in which I have not paddled:

Alabama
Alaska*
Arizona*
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment