Thursday, July 11, 2024

Nothing special, but I'm keeping it moving

Hurricane Beryl came ashore in Texas and Louisiana on Monday, and by Tuesday were getting some of the remnants here.  The heart of the counterclockwise-rotating storm stayed west of us, and here on the eastern fringe showers were moving from south to north, interspersed with periods of sunshine.  The nice thing was that it kept the temperature below 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tuesday morning I did a gym session, and managed to strain my right lat muscle a little.  I think I did it during the triceps extensions.  I went down to the riverfront and paddled my whitewater boat for a half-hour, and while the lat didn't bother me too much, it seemed to be worse when I paddled on the right (my whitewater boat is a C1).  That's the opposite of what I was expecting.  The south wind was stronger than I'd realized, and I suspected there might be some decent downwinding to be had out on the Mississippi, but paddling the whitewater boat is what I'd planned to do, and, well... I just can't do it all.  I'll go downwinding again some other day.

By Tuesday night the rain had moved out, and yesterday was a much more gorgeous day than we have any right to expect in the Mid South in July.  I had a variety of chores to attend to, but I got in a good bike ride in the late morning.

This morning I was back on the riverfront, back in the surfski, hoping for some more surfing opportunities.  But out on the river there was no barge traffic in sight.  I did a steady 60-minute paddle, and I felt tired in the boat, though I'm pleased to say that lat muscle has improved since Tuesday.

The temperature rose into the low 90s today, but the humidity wasn't so bad.  The forecast shows highs in the 90s most days in the foreseeable future, and I expect the humidity will come back and we'll have some triple-digit heat indices soon.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment