Monday, September 16, 2024

Monday photo feature

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that the Gauley River in West Virginia is an annual destination for paddlers.  That's because every September the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers releases water into the Gauley to draw down the level of Summersville Reservoir.  Paddlers travel from all over to partake in the whitewater fun.

Not surprisingly, it's big business for the local tourism and hospitality industry, and especially raft companies.  And photographers have found their niche, too.  A company called West Virginia Sports Photography places people with cameras at notable rapids along the river to shoot everybody who comes by, hoping that some of those people will want to purchase mementos of their heroic moments.

They found a customer in me!  I shelled out some money for three of their photos.  That photo in last Thursday's post of me running Pillow Rock Rapid is one of them.  And the one above is another.  That's me running Koontz Flume on the lower Gauley back on Friday, September 6.  I was doing a lot of deep braces that day, trying my darnedest to keep the boat upright.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment