Thursday, January 11, 2018

(1) Warm, wet paddling. (2) Ow!!!! (3) Strength routine struggles.

This week has been significantly warmer than last, the Fahrenheit thermometer hitting 60 degrees by yesterday.  It's also been overcast and rainy and gloomy.  Picture-perfect days are rare in January.  And the forecast calls for the return of sub-freezing temperatures overnight tonight, possibly accompanied by sleet and freezing rain.

Joe and I paddled a loop of the harbor on Tuesday, and today I went back to the river with the intention of paddling for 60 minutes.  I discovered upon arrival that I'd forgotten my watch, so I paddled a loop that usually takes me about an hour to do.  I warmed up, did three 8-stroke sprints, and then practiced my stroke at a variety of speeds.  I got back to the dock about 65 minutes after I'd left--typical of me, I erred toward excess.

I paddled with a bit of discomfort today because as I was leaving the house this morning I slipped on the stairs out back.  I'm glad no one was around to see it because it was one of those spectacular feet-out-from-under-me moves, like when a cartoon character slips on a banana peel.  It had been raining in the early hours of the morning and my back stairs can get very slippery when wet.  My back slammed down hard on a stair just below the shoulder blades.  I don't think I hurt myself seriously--just a deep bruise--but now I'll be living with that soreness for several days.

On Monday and yesterday I did rounds of the current strength routine.  Like I've mentioned before, these exercises are Hard with a capital H.  I'm a little perplexed by the trouble I'm having with the rolling squat burpees: I remember them being difficult when I last did them two years ago, but I'm pretty sure I got the hang of them after just a few days of trying.  But right now I'm struggling to do even one rep.  I realize there's no reason to get too upset: I'm a paddler, after all, not a burpee master.  But I'm feeling discouraged anyway.  The truth is, I don't want to believe that my athletic ability has declined that much between age 48 and age 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment