Sunday, January 28, 2018

Plowing through January

I paddled for 60 minutes Thursday morning.  My deltoids and biceps felt tired and a bit sore, and the only cause I could think of was the Hannibal pushups I'm doing as part of the current strength routine.  Then something else occurred to me: for the last week or so I've been doing a lot of painting at a rental property I own.  Now it all made sense.  I have quite a lot of painting yet to do over there, so I guess I'm doing double duty in the arm and shoulder conditioning department.  For those who are wondering: yes, as a matter of fact I am doing my painting mindfully like Daniel LaRusso does in The Karate Kid.  I'm using both arms and doing specific motions.

Yesterday was a rainy day.  We never got any especially heavy rain, but I spent 60 minutes of the morning paddling in a steady drizzle that occasionally escalated into a drenching shower.  The Fahrenheit temperature was in the low 50s--certainly not freezing but not as warm as I'd like it to be when I'm getting rained on.

The sun was back out today and the river was beautiful during my 100-minute paddle.  It was a good way to pass the morning before spending another afternoon with a paint brush in my hand.

I did a set of three 8-stroke sprints on each of the days I paddled.  They felt better than they'd been feeling.  I'm sure they're far from perfect, but they seemed more fluid than they'd been in a long time.

I did the strength routine on Wednesday and Friday, and I think I've had enough of this particular set of exercises.  I'll be drawing up a new routine this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment