Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Back to the gym

The race season is still quite a ways off, but I've decided it's time for me to start up some offseason strength conditioning.  As a reader pointed out to me this week, my recent back ailment is a sign that my core needs some work, and I think that's something I will emphasize for the next while.

Years ago I bought an exercise ball, and while I've done stuff with it off and on, I feel I haven't used it to its full potential.  During the Olympics this past summer I happened across a video of Jingjing Li, China's female entrant in the whitewater slalom race in London, demonstrating some exercise ball drills, and I have now gone back and found it here.  I tried a set of her static drills this morning, and for me, the most difficult exercise was the one starting at about 1:50.  I had a very hard time balancing myself in this position for more than 10 or 15 seconds, especially with my left side up.  I got pretty frustrated, but I think it simply highlights a weak area for me and I think it's a good opportunity to get stronger if I stick with it.

While searching for Jingjing Li's video I also found this video of Italian Daniele Molmenti, the Olympic champion in men's slalom kayak in London, demonstrating some "backpacker" exercises (i.e., exercises that require little or no equipment and therefore can be done while traveling).  He shows us some interesting pushup variations and rubber band exercises.

Over the next few days I plan to keep trying out these exercises and put together a routine to carry me through the next month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment