Friday, November 9, 2012

Home again; should I start building an ark?

I leave town for a few days and when I get back it seems the whole world has changed.  The Mississippi River is above zero on the Memphis gauge for the first time since early June.  This morning's level was 2.4 feet above zero, and my dock looked like this:


For comparison, look at the picture I posted here back on the 26th of August, when the river was 9.1 feet below zero.

Mind you, the water is still quite low; I would say a "medium" level is around 12 feet or higher.  But it sure did feel high today after the months of near-historic lows we've had.

I paddled for an hour, trying to keep the intensity low.  I've been dealing with some aches and pains from last weekend: I strained something in my middle back area on the Cheoah last Saturday, and aggravated it the next day on the Tallulah.  And I think I may have a mild virus that's making me feel achy and tired all over.  So I hoped some easy paddling would make me feel better.  Too early to tell as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment