Monday, December 10, 2012

Doldrums

I've got a nice little routine going these days--doing some strength exercises, paddling my boat a couple times a week--but I'm definitely not in "training mode."  At the moment my heart and mind are just not in it.  It's a busy time in my professional life, with the holiday season upon us and all.  And with three months to go before what will likely be my first race of the season, I haven't been particularly motivated to go out and work my body hard.

Sometimes I hit roadblocks in the thick of the season, too.  I might get sick or injured, or I might have some outside obligation suddenly come up, or I might just fall into an emotional funk where I just don't want to deal with training for a few days.  In short, a season never goes exactly as planned.

During periods like this I just try to keep moving in some way.  If that's not possible because of illness or injury, I tell myself that the rest is not a bad thing--fitness is the result of your recovery from training, after all, and not of the training itself.  Either way, when I get back to full speed I'll feel that I've got something to build on.

I spent an hour in my boat on Thursday and another one yesterday.  It's turning cold today, but the last few days have been quite warm while also overcast and wet.  My two paddling sessions were done in light, misty rain, and I'm not sure the Mississippi River is ever more beautiful than it is in these conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment