Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lower back healing, higher water coming

There's still a spot of soreness in my left lower back, but I'm otherwise feeling much better.  I paddled for an hour this morning, and I felt a lot better in the boat than I did on Friday.

The river is on a pretty dramatic rise right now: the Memphis gauge level this morning was 5.8 feet, and it's forecast to be over 8 feet a couple of days from now.  The front that brought some pretty good rainfall here last weekend stretched well up into the upper Mississippi and Ohio basins, and I think that's what's brought about this boost in the water level.

And yet, the river is still quite low--a more typical level for this time of year would be in the teens.  That means that any sort of return to normalcy will require continued rain higher up in the watershed.  Unless rain continues to fall in the Midwest, we could easily be back below zero a couple of weeks from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment