Wednesday, January 16, 2013

No whining, even on crummy days

This morning I did two sets of the January strength routine and then paddled my boat for 70 minutes.

There had been a very mild ice storm here yesterday, which is to say that while it put a coat of ice on almost everything, it did not affect the streets and did not bring down tree branches and stuff like that.  When I got down to the marina the temperature display in my car's dashboard said it was 32 degrees Fahrenheit, so whatever thaw took place today had only just begun.  After surviving an extremely dicey walk down an icy ramp, I struggled to untie the ropes that secured my boat to its rack and to undo the zipper and fastex buckles on my boat's cover.

The rest of the session was simple enough, though it felt like sort of a chore on this cold, dreary, cheerless day.

Since I'm sitting here fighting off waves of self-pity, it's a good time to point you toward a new post on Ron Lugbill's blog about being a good sport.  He talks about the things we all think about, such as not whining about poor officiating and not congratulating the people who beat you, but he also mentions more general things like not forgetting the huge variety of people who help you along your way and maintaining good relationships with fellow competitors.  Good advice for athletes in any sport.  Read the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment