Thursday, January 10, 2013

Training session and ASHOF update

Yesterday morning I did two sets of the January strength routine.  I've gotten over most of the soreness, but I still can't believe how much the core exercises hurt, especially ones with the exercise ball.

Then I went down to the river, where misty precipitation increased into a hard, steady drizzle during my paddling session.  I think the river is exceptionally beautiful in this sort of weather.  And the temperature was higher than it had been in recent days--I think it was in the upper 50s when I was down there--so I was reasonably comfortable.  I didn't wear pogies, and that's always a bonus in January.

In the last several years my friend Phil Capel, a fellow paddler and the director of the Arkansas River Canoe and Kayak Race at Little Rock each June, has been speaking with voting members of the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame regarding the candidacy of Mike Herbert that I talked about in my last post.  Phil tells me that there are some 300 potential inductees on their list right now, meaning that anybody hoping to be inducted could have to wait some years yet.  Right now he's trying to get some assurance that Mike is on that list.

And at the moment that's the main thing I'd like to be sure of, too: that the voters are aware that Mike exists and that he's getting the same consideration as candidates who perhaps have a higher public profile.  I've never received a reply to any correspondence I have ever sent to ASHOF, so right now I have no idea whether anybody is listening or not.

For now, what I would like is to know who the voting members are so that I might send them a polite letter in support of Mike's candidacy and encourage others to do the same.  I'll share what I find out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment