Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I have an ouchie

I had a little accident in the workshop yesterday afternoon--cut my left thumb pretty badly:


The offending tool, a biscuit joiner, gouged right through the thumbnail.  It's not a tool I often associate with accidents, but I was sort of in a hurry and being careless, and that's how accidents usually happen in a woodworking shop.  I'm just glad it isn't any worse.

I arguably should have gone and had the thing stitched up, but for now I've decided to see how it heals on its own.  After the initial gush, it hasn't bled too badly, so I'm hoping it'll be okay.  Of course, avoiding infection is a concern, and I'm doing my best to keep it clean.  I was worried that it might hinder paddling, but it didn't really bother me at all in the boat this morning.

I paddled my K1 for 70 minutes.  I think the issue of getting comfortable in the K1 is almost entirely psychological for me.  I continue to have stretches where I'm able to relax and let the boat do its thing, only to suddenly start thinking too much and tense up.  But it seems like with each session the good stretches get a little longer.  I'm actually looking forward to a summer of paddling the K1 and just having fun with it.

I'll conclude this post with a not-so-gory photo:


One of the simple pleasures of this time of year is having the purple martens in our marina's birdhouses for a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment