Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Some novel cross training

I took a break from training today, but I hardly felt as though I was lying around.  Parts of the downstairs in my building were ankle-deep in water from yesterday's torrential rains, so I spent the day sweeping water out with a push broom.  As I worked, I was reminded of another Olympic sport: curling.

I admit I know little about the sport of curling, but I do know that it includes a couple of guys (or gals) armed with brooms, which they use to manipulate the ice ahead of the sliding stone, thereby influencing the stone's direction.

Who knew that there is a place in the Olympic movement for housework skills?  As I moved swiftly along, trying to steer the water flow toward the front door with my broom, I thought perhaps I should learn more about this obscure sport.  I wonder what sort of athletes excel at curling?  What body type and physique is typical of a curler?

No comments:

Post a Comment