Saturday, June 8, 2013

Riverfront litter pickup

I paddled in the harbor today for 80 minutes.  I participated in a litter pickup put on by Memphis River Warriors, the Tennessee Sierra Club, Memphis City Beautiful, the University of Memphis, Outdoors, Inc., and others who value a clean environment on our riverfront.  The effort was focused on the cobblestones and the finish area for next Saturday's Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race, so I wanted to be sure the paddling community was represented.

So it wasn't really a training session, but I can find training value in almost any in-the-boat activity.  This morning I would stop at one patch of floating litter and pick it up, then paddle over to another patch, and so on, and I concentrated on my stroke with its recent alterations during those bursts of paddling.  In this way, I worked toward internalizing the new movements without obsessing over them, because most of my attention was on the very important business of removing some pollutants from the water that we paddle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment