Thursday, July 4, 2013

Back to K1 drills

We're having a pleasantly mild week for this time of year in Memphis, as a breeze from the north has kept temperatures below 90 degrees Fahrenheit.  It's not cool, but just how I think summer should be, with just the right level of humidity keeping things green against a backdrop of insect serenade in our wooded city.

This afternoon I went down to the harbor and paddled the K1 for 60 minutes.  There were numerous motorized pleasure craft out on the water--not a surprise on this national holiday, but it did make the harbor quite choppy.  I tried to relax and not get my undies in a bunch over it--I'll have to get comfortable in turbulent water sooner or later, after all.

I did some more one-sided stroking drills.  I tried to do ten in a row on one side without letting the opposite blade touch the water; if I had to do a stroke or a brace with the opposite blade, I started over.  My coach is a real taskmaster.

I also did a drill where I paddled on both sides, but leaned the boat one way or another as I did so, trying to get a feel for the boat's point of secondary stability.

As I headed back to the marina, I decided, on a whim, to time myself from the Hernando DeSoto Bridge to the Auction Avenue bridge (six or seven hundred meters, maybe).  I used to do this time trial fairly often, with a best time of 2:57 or so, and I was curious to see what I could do in the K1.  But it quickly became apparent that there would be no PR today: every other stroke seemed to be part brace, and I couldn't keep the boat on a straight line to save my life (I think some adjustment to the rudder might be in order).  As I flailed through the plane of the Auction bridge, I looked at my watch: about 3:42.  Ugh.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep at it, and try to enjoy the punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment