Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pushing ahead in the flatwater boat

I'm scheduled to teach kayak classes for Outdoors, Inc., for the next five Saturdays, with August 17 being for kids ages 10 to 15.  For more information, look here.

After yesterday's busy morning, I "relaxed" with a 60-minute session in the K1 this afternoon.  I'm still not quite comfortable enough in that boat for it to be very relaxing.  But keeping the boat upright is becoming less and less of a problem for me, and that's allowing me to concentrate on good strokes with full rotation.  I'm still throwing some braces in from time to time, but I'm having stretches where I'm moving the boat well.

Toward the end of the session I timed myself from the Mud Island monorail bridge to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  In other boats I have done this piece as fast as 2:03 or so, but I'm pretty sure I've never broken two minutes.  But today my time was 2:02.  That's encouraging because I feel I can go at least a few seconds faster once I get a bit more stable and can paddle at full power.

No comments:

Post a Comment