Monday, December 30, 2013

Another round of winter

Here in the Mid South we have pretty mild winters that allow us to paddle year-round, but we do have a good cold snap at least once every ten days or so this time of year.  Such a snap got here last night, and as I drove to the river this morning a few flecks of sleet fell from the sky and the in-dash display in my car said it was 31 degrees Fahrenheit.  Not the worst I've paddled in, but... cold!  Brrrr!

Fortunately I was dressed for the occasion, and soon I was reasonably comfortable in my boat.  I paddled for 60 minutes, doing a couple of pieces around the Mud Island Marina (one lap takes around three minutes at medium intensity) and otherwise paddling steady.

Before paddling this morning I did my last strength routine for the month.  I did ten sets of 30 Hindu squats and ten sets of 10 front and lat raises.  I'm always fascinated with the body's ability to adapt quickly to new stresses: at the start of this month I struggled through 200 Hindu squats and was quite sore for the next couple of days, but today I did 300 of them don't really feel a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment