Sunday, December 8, 2013

Still basking in the warm

It sounds like Memphis didn't get hammered with ice nearly as badly as Texas and Oklahoma and Arkansas and Missouri did these last couple of days.  But I'm glad to be here in Florida, where yesterday we had sunny skies and about 80 degrees on the Fahrenheit thermometer.

Yesterday morning I did another ten sets of 20 Hindu squats and ten front and lat raises.  My quads were still sore but the workout didn't seem too painful.

Then I went out on the Hillsborough River for 60 minutes.  I did a few high-intensity pieces that included both forward and backward paddling.

The Hillsborough, like most coastal rivers, is generally flat and influenced by the tides.  I grew up paddling whitewater and still love it, but I've found value, and even some enjoyment, in playing around on flatwater in a whitewater boat.  You can get a much better feel for the kinesthetics of your boat, and address issues of precision much better, without the distraction of waves, holes, and drops, and what you learn will carry over to whitewater.  I would bet that the very best "extreme" whitewater paddlers--Dane Jackson, for instance--have done their share of playing around on flatwater and easy whitewater.

No comments:

Post a Comment