Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Going fast (cont'd)

For those who don't know what Hindu squats are, here's a video of a guy doing them.  I posted it long ago but am posting it again for those later-arrivers to this blog party.

Both Monday and today, I did 240 Hindu squats (ten sets of 24) and 100 front and lat raises (ten sets of 10).

I also paddled for 60 minutes both Monday and today.  The sun has come out this week and that has made it much nicer out on the river.  It's also warmer: today's high was in the mid 50s Fahrenheit.

I'm continuing my theme of working some higher intensity into each paddling session.  Some days I might push the pace for one long period, while on other days I might do several shorter periods of higher intensity.  If I'm feeling tired I might keep the harder paddling to a minimum, but still do at least a little something to practice the motor skills associated with going fast.

Today I warmed up from the dock to the mouth of the harbor, then paddled harder upriver from the mouth of the harbor to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  I ferried over to the Arkansas side at an easy pace, then ferried back to the Tennessee side at a higher intensity.  From there I returned to the dock at an easier pace.

     Both my harder pieces were eight or nine minutes in duration.  I paddled at a fairly low stroke rate, concentrating on taking good precise strokes and really exploding through each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment