Saturday, February 15, 2014

On the mend

My left ring finger has a long way to go, but there's visible improvement.

I'm always fascinated with the body's ability to mend itself, and the simple medical procedures that can help it along.  As I mentioned back when the accident occurred, I had no flap of skin that the ER doctor could fold over the wound and sew in place, so instead he ran the thread through the finger's deep interior, and cinched it tight like a drawstring bag:


All I can say is, thank goodness for the nerve-deadening shot he gave me first.  The stitches went right through what was left of my fingernail:



These stitches held the whole mess together for ten days.  Yesterday I returned to the plastic surgeon's office, and she removed them:


It hurt, but it was over in a minute, and I think my finger will feel a lot better as the perforations heal up.

In the meantime, I continue the business of getting myself into racing shape.  It started this morning with another iteration of the February strength routine.  Then I headed to the river, where I was greeted with partly-sunny skies and a Fahrenheit temperature in the mid 30s.  I paddled for 60 minutes, starting off with my little power-building drill where I follow a few backstrokes with six hard forward strokes.  I did six of these at two-minute intervals.  For the rest of the hour I did a loosely-structured workout in which I did a long sprint every few minutes.  I did five in all, which is not bad considering that I felt a bit tired in the boat for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment