Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger

The balmy spell has passed, as I knew it would.  But the cold snaps are becoming less severe as we draw closer and closer to spring.  This latest one features highs in the 30s (Fahrenheit) rather than highs in the 20s.

I've paddled with Joe the last two days.  Joe is recovering from the shoulder surgery he had last summer and can't really do any hard paddling, but I got in a few sprints yesterday and today, just to keep my body used to it.  We paddled for 60 minutes yesterday and 80 minutes today.

The weather this morning was about 30 degrees Fahrenheit with bright sunshine.  It might have been a lovely day to paddle had an icy wind not been screaming out of the northwest.  That was enough to make it seem like an ordeal instead.  I got chilled to the core and remained so for the rest of the day.  But I'm still a believer that when the weather is bad--cold or hot--you just have to immerse yourself in it.  The beautiful days seem that much sweeter if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment