Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A break from the K1

This morning I did my new strength routine (I guess I'll start calling it the August strength routine now) and then went down to the river.  I decided to paddle the surf ski for the first time in a long time, and see how the technical stuff I'd been working on in the K1 carried over.  I paddled for 60 minutes, and it was nice not feeling like my next stroke could flip me over.  I also enjoyed the weather: we had a string of very humid days this past week, but a front came through late yesterday and today a north breeze had blown away the moisture.

My surf ski came equipped with a foot strap, but I'd never really relied on it.  Today I tightened it up and tried to make better use of it on each stroke.  The more extreme contortion of my body it allows has been tiring, but then anytime I make a change to my stroke technique I go through a such an adjustment period.  I'm hopeful that I'm onto something good.

I did a set of six backstrokes-then-forward-strokes drills, and then timed myself in the harbor from the Hernando DeSoto Bridge to the monorail bridge, for which my PR is a second or two under two minutes.  I did it today in about 2:02.

No comments:

Post a Comment