Thursday, August 7, 2014

Summer rolls on

Since my return from out West I've been working my way into a new strength routine.  As I mentioned a few posts back, I've sort of used the "5P" workout described here on Ron Lugbill's blog as a starting point.  I'm not quite doing a full 5P, but I've worked in four of the Ps.  The routine starts with a set of pushups (of which I do a variety of types), followed by a couple of types of leg-lifts while hanging from a set of gymnast's rings.  Then I do this prehab exercise, which for me is really a rehab exercise because it targets the area of soreness in my back.  Then I go back to the rings and do a set of pullups.  I finish the routine with two plyometric exercises: squat jumps and chest-drop pushups.  I try to do two sets of this routine three days a week.

This afternoon I went downtown and paddled the K1 for 40 minutes.  I kept the intensity moderate and tried to rotate fully on each stroke.  It's something I've struggled to do in the K1, but the addition of the foot strap has been a boost to my confidence.

The harbor has been lovely most of the days I've been down there this summer, but a mid-afternoon thunderstorm today washed in a big bunch of floating litter.  The city of Baltimore has found a remedy to this problem in its harbor; can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment