Sunday, August 10, 2014

Classroom management, pain management, and time management

I taught another class out at Shelby Farms yesterday.  This time I had about eight students, many of them in the ten- to twelve-year-old range, who brought whitewater boats with them.  So I took a whitewater boat of my own out there and worked on a different set of skills from what I've been doing in these classes.  It was a bit of a challenge, inasmuch as I've got the routine down for a touring-boat class but don't really have a practiced list of activities for people in whitewater boats.  But I'm happy to say that everybody seemed to have a good time and got a reasonably good educational experience for a Saturday morning.

This morning I went another round with my new strength routine.  That prehab/rehab exercise I'm doing often elicits a pop in my vertebrae right where I've been experiencing pain for so long, and I'm taking that as an encouraging sign.

This afternoon I paddled the K1 in the harbor downtown.  Just like on Thursday, it was only a 40-minute session.  The other day I saw my friend June, a loyal reader of this blog, and she remarked that an hour in the boat seemed long to her.  I'd sort of been thinking the opposite--before this year, a typical session for me was 90 minutes or more--but her comment got me to thinking, and now I've decided to keep sessions shorter for a while for a couple of reasons.  For one thing, it puts that much less stress on my back.  For another, that K1 demands such a high degree of concentration and body control that I think an hour might be a little too long: even in the early part of a session, I allow some bad strokes to creep in among the good ones, and I'm hoping that spending some time doing shorter sessions with a higher percentage of good strokes will pay off after a while.  Sometimes less is more. Thanks, June.

No comments:

Post a Comment