Saturday, August 2, 2014

Back to school

I'm back teaching classes for Outdoors, Inc., out at Shelby Farms.  Information on these sessions is available here.  I had one last week, I had one today, and I'll have one next Saturday.  After a week off, I'll be teaching a class in deep water self-rescue techniques on August 23.

Back when I was a high school math teacher, one of my greatest challenges was knowing when not to say anything--to let the students figure things out on their own, without my help.  I'm aware of the same thing now in these kayaking classes.  Once I've shown the students a new skill, I try to give them a lot of time on the water just to paddle around and play with what I've shown them, and hopefully come to understand why what I've shown them improves their performance in the boat.  I move around from student to student and offer a bit of coaching, but often I think the less I say, the better.

My back is sore and uncomfortable once more.  Last night I had a lengthy phone conversation with my friend Rob, a chiropractor up in New York state. He urged me to pay attention to my posture and avoid certain head positions, and gave me an exercise to do, after which I should apply ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment