Thursday, October 15, 2015

I resurface

I apologize for the radio silence of the last ten days.  Although I did manage to paddle a loop of the harbor with Joe on both Tuesday and Thursday, last week was focused on non-paddling activities as I was involved in the annual Pink Palace Crafts Fair here in Memphis.  I was out of the boat from Friday through Monday, and I'm not sure that was such a bad thing.  Here in the waning moments of the race season I've been feeling weary and ready for a break, and shifting my thoughts to something else for a few days was helpful.  I don't think I lost any of the aerobic fitness I'll need for a 12-mile race this Saturday.

And now, here I am on my way to South Carolina for the North Shore Cup on Saturday.  I left Tuesday afternoon and spent the night with a friend in Nashville.  Yesterday I continued east to the Charlotte-Gastonia area, where my sister's family lives.  I stopped along the way for 40 minutes of paddling on Center Hill Lake, a reservoir on the Caney Fork River on the Cumberland Plateau.  I did six 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals, and felt sharper than I'd expected.

Today I am hanging out visiting family.  I hope to get an early start tomorrow for Lake Marion, where I'll make camp and do a few more sprints and try to be ready to compete.

No comments:

Post a Comment