Friday, June 30, 2017

Treading water for a bit

Since the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race I've been taking a little bit of a break from "serious" training.  I'm still paddling, still doing my strength routine; but I haven't yet started focusing on the races to come.

Those races will be here before I know it, however.  The next race I might do is just three weeks from tomorrow.  And then the next three weekends after that feature races that I might do in the form of a little two-week vacation trip.  So that's four consecutive weekends of racing I could be looking at.  Hmm.

Last night I paddled at high intensity for the first time since the OICK Race, and it was pretty taxing.  One thing I've learned is that when you have a really good race, a euphoria ensues that makes it very easy to forget just how hard the workouts were that produced the good result.  I met other local paddlers out at Shelby Farms for a set of five 500ish-meter sprints followed by a fast lap of the lake, and I guess it was my harsh reminder that the euphoric period is over and it's time to get back to business.  By the last two sprints, I was struggling.  I did see a silver lining in the lake lap, which was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 meters.  I found a decent rhythm and I was encouraged by how well I was able to paddle after those exhausting sprints.

Besides last night's session, this week I did the strength routine Monday, Wednesday, and today, and on Tuesday Joe and I did out usual loop of the harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment