Sunday, February 4, 2018

A pleasant weekend

It was around 50 degrees Fahrenheit when I got down to the river yesterday.  It seemed delightfully warm after a day in the 30s on Friday. The south breeze was gentle and the river was calm.  I did a 60-minute loop out on the river in front of the downtown Memphis skyline.

Today was another nice day.  I got in my boat and warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor.  Those sprints are back to feeling sloppy this weekend.  So it goes.

This being another Sunday, it was time for a "longer" paddle.  I paddled up the Mississippi to the mouth of the Wolf River, and continued up the Wolf.  With the Mississippi at 11.5 feet on the Memphis gauge, I paddled against some current for about the last half-mile before my turnaround point at the Danny Thomas Boulevard bridge.

This was shaping up to be my longest paddle of the calendar year so far, and I was feeling pretty worn out in the last 20 minutes or so.  I tried to focus as hard as I could on maintaining good form and taking good strokes all the way back to the dock.  The river was a bit choppy from some barge traffic but back in the harbor the water was glassy-smooth and as lovely as could be with the clouds giving way to some sunshine.  I got back to the dock to wrap up a 120-minute session.

No comments:

Post a Comment