Friday, May 29, 2020

Spring volatility

That sore forearm muscle that was bothering me last week has gotten better, and I'm pleased about that.  My right wrist continues to hurt, pretty badly at times and not so badly at other times.

I did a round of the strength routine Tuesday morning.  I was running on a tight schedule and had to knock it out quickly.  This is a big reason that I try to keep my strength routines short and simple: if it weren't short and simple then I might just skip it on a busy morning like Tuesday's.  Instead, I knew it was doable, and I got it done.

I had several errands to run around town, but I managed to make it to my usual Tuesday morning appointment with Joe.  We did a nice relaxed loop of the harbor.

The weather has been weird this week.  There have been showers scattered all over the central U.S. and they've been moving in a glacially-slow rotating pattern rather than the usual west-to-east.  Though parts of the Mid South have had some heavy rain, here in my town there was barely a drop until a shower passed through yesterday afternoon.  The temperature has been lower than last weekend but the humidity is still up, and there's that unsettled feeling in the air, as if a severe storm could appear any minute, even though none has.

It was mostly cloudy, but a lot of sun was shining through, when I paddled yesterday morning.  I was in the mood for a workout, and I did one on a 5000-meter course I've laid out in the harbor.  It's an out-and-back course that starts and finishes next to where the Memphis Queen boats are anchored.  The turnaround point is a concrete tower at the barge-loading facility by the old LaFarge plant.  I varied the pace on the first half of the course, alternating between sections at 6.5 miles per hour and sections at 7.5 miles per hour.  My overall time for this first half was 12 minutes, 56 seconds.  Coming back south I tried to maintain a steady pace of 7.1 or 7.2 mph for the whole 2500 meters, but there was just enough of a headwind blowing to make that hard to do.  I ended up clocking 13:15, meaning that my pace was just a hair over 7.0 mph.

This morning I did another round of the strength routine.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment