Friday, May 1, 2020

Out-of-the-boat beatdowns

I mentioned that I've finished that big landscaping job that I spent March and part of April doing, so that particular beating on my body is over.  Now I'm doing some repair work on a fence over at the rental property I own.  A few of the posts have rotted at the base and are falling over, so I'm dedicating one day each week to replacing them.  Using a pick, shovel, and post-hole digger is something that wouldn't have fazed me when I was younger, but now it leaves me sore for the next several days.

I did this work on Monday, and was sore as usual.  Then, on Wednesday, I climbed up on the roof of that same property to clean out the gutters, and that task has left me sore in the darnedest places.  It's a two-story building from which a fall would be quite a detriment to my well-being, and I was having to crawl slowly and carefully down the pitched roof to get to the gutters.  Somehow, doing so has caused pretty bad soreness in my lower abdominals as well as my arms and shoulders.  I've got a couple of bad scrapes on my forearms, too.

The truth is that my non-athletic life is much harder on my body than my athletic life.  Sometimes I think my greatest benefit from the athletic workouts I do is the ability to withstand all my non-athletic trials and tribulations.

On Tuesday I did a round of the strength routine and then joined Joe for a loop of the harbor.  Yesterday I went back down and paddled for 60 minutes as a stiff north wind blew.  I did three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor and then just ferried across the river and back.

This morning I did another round of the strength routine.  I hope this soreness will ease up a bit for the weekend.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment