Monday, January 30, 2023

Monday photo feature

This is an image of my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee.  It's the basic satellite photo composite offered on Google Maps.

I live in the Binghampton neighborhood, labeled left of center in the image, between "Memphis Zoo" and "Lowe's Home Improvement."

If you move to the west-northwest you can see the word "Uptown," and just left of there is the marina where I keep my boat.  The harbor is somewhat obscured here, but it's the dark ribbon to the right of the main channel of the Mississippi River.

The harbor and the segment of the Mississippi shown here make up the Memphis riverfront, and of course that's where I paddle most of the time.  I'm grateful to have a place like this to paddle my boat.

Four bridges cross the Mississippi River at Memphis.  The northernmost one, near where I keep my boat, is the Hernando DeSoto Bridge that carries Interstate 40 across the river.  Farther south, next to where it says "Metal Museum," there is a trio of bridges.  One of them is the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge that carries Interstate 55 across the river.

The latter bridge made the national news over the weekend when protesters shut it down for several hours Friday evening.  The group was demanding reforms to the city police department following the release of video footage that showed police officers brutally beating a 29-year-old man they had pulled over.  The man had to be hospitalized and later died from his injuries.

That incident took place on January 7 at a location in the lower right corner of this image, just above where it says "Walmart Neighborhood Market."


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment