Sunday, January 29, 2023

A good weekend of work

Friday was a bright sunny day with a Fahrenheit high in the 50s.  I did a gym session that morning, and in the afternoon I rode my bike for about 70 minutes.  If it had been a miserable wintry day I would have done the gym and nothing else, but instead it was a lovely day, and you gotta "let the weather be your coach"-- remember?

It was sunny again yesterday morning, but clouds started moving in not long after I got up, and the forecast said rain would be moving in later.  It was mostly cloudy and mid 40s when I got to the river.  I did a workout that we had done back on my first day of the training camp: three sets of (3 min. on, 3 min. off) at 80 strokes per minute with moderate resistance (one golf whiffle ball) on the boat.  I took a 5-minute break between sets.  It was another muscle-burning kind of session, but I held up pretty well.  My form didn't start falling apart until the last minute of the last piece, and that's just what you want in any kind of interval workout.

We got a good bit of rain overnight.  By this morning it had just about moved out, but overcast skies remained.  The temperature was a balmy 55 degrees, so I didn't have to wear pogies when I paddled, and that's always nice this time of year.  I paddled a course I hadn't done in a long time: up the Mississippi to the mouth of the Wolf River and back.  I tried to keep the stroke rate low and put good power into each stroke, and that was a lot easier on flatwater in the harbor and in the mouth of the Wolf than out on the Mississippi, where some barge traffic had churned up the water.  All told I was in the boat for 90 minutes.

It sounds like some colder weather is on its way here, so we'll see what I manage to do in the coming week.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment