Sunday, January 1, 2023

The training has begun

I arrived in the town of Dunnellon, Florida, yesterday in the late afternoon, and this morning I joined my fellow training campers on the Rainbow River.  A few of my companions had been here since the middle of last week and had a few brutal workouts under their belts already.  Fortunately the scheduled session this morning was an easy one: a calm 60- to 90-minute paddle.  I had no trouble blending right in with the group, but I knew that tougher tests were still to come.

Sure enough, there was a burlier workout on tap for this afternoon: two sets of 3 x (3 min. on, 3 min. off) with moderate resistance (one golf whiffle ball) on the boat.  The "on" pieces were to be done at an approximate 10-kilometer race pace, or around 80 strokes per minute.  The workout was definitely taxing, but I didn't feel in over my head.  Actually, I felt pretty good considering it was the first true in-the-boat workout I'd done since before the Columbia Gorge race last summer, and that was encouraging.

My arm muscles held up reasonably well, but I'm keeping my eye on them.  Tomorrow is an out-of-the-boat day (I'll probably do a gym session and ride my bike), so hopefully I'll be ready to paddle hard again Tuesday.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment