Friday, March 15, 2019

A challenging week, physically and otherwise

It's been a whole lot more springlike this week.  The daytime highs have been no lower than 50 degrees Fahrenheit and were up into the 70s for a couple of days.  Of course, in the month of March you can count on some wind to go with those warmer days.

I started up a new strength routine this week.  I eased into it Monday and then did full rounds Wednesday and today.

The conditions were dead calm when Joe and I did our customary loop of the harbor on Tuesday, but it was a much different story Wednesday and yesterday, as the wind raged out of the south.  When I got down to the river yesterday I was feeling tired and also sore from the new strength exercises, and I paddled out into the screaming wind trying to stay as relaxed as I could and letting how I felt dictate what I did in the boat.  The wind actually abated quite a bit during my 60 minutes of paddling and it didn't feel like quite the struggle I'd expected

To use sort of a tired, but in this case apt, phrase, I've spent most of this week with a heavy heart.  My city lost an incredible servant on Tuesday.  The city I live in is the kind of place that needs all the heroes it can get, and when something like this happens all I can do is put my head in my hands and wonder how many more such blows we can take.  I won't go into any greater detail here since this incident is not all that relevant to a canoe and kayak racing blog (although he was, in fact, an athlete--he played basketball for Memphis State University in the 1970s).  But I encourage anybody who's curious to look here, and here, and here, and here, and here.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment