Thursday, March 28, 2019

Almost time to race

I'm trying to get some rest going into the race this weekend, but I'm not tapering.  Early in the season I generally train through the races; I'm nowhere near peak racing form, and I doubt many other racers are, either.  That's why I went ahead and did the usual long paddle on Sunday, and did the strength routine Monday and yesterday.  On the side of getting a little extra rest, I'm paddling relatively easy with a few extra short sprints this week, and I'll skip the strength work tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to be extra-conscientious in the areas of diet, hydration, stretching, and getting a good night's sleep.

On Tuesday I paddled in the harbor for 60 minutes.  In the middle of that period I did a set of eight 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals.  I went back downtown yesterday afternoon with the intention of doing the same thing, but I was interrupted by a bout with diarrhea, and had to get out of the boat and run to the bathroom in the grocery store up the hill from the marina.  Sorry if that's T.M.I., but such things do occasionally happen.  Anyway, I did paddle for about 50 minutes and got in six 12-strokers.

I plan to leave tomorrow morning on my trip to the Gulf Coast.  I hope to have time to do a quick paddle once I arrive in Ocean Springs, just to work out the kinks from sitting in the car for six hours.  My friend Nick is very kindly putting me up in his guest bedroom even though his skittish Australian shepherd Sierra might not be so thrilled.  I feel like I've been through a long, lonely winter and I'm eager to reunite with some friends and enjoy some good racing.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment